Thread: Holophonics

Rock bottom? Thatís a fishing term.

Security Officer
    Criminally Insane

Default Holophonics

I recently came across an interesting sound file. It's a recording using Holophonic technology which, for those of you that don't know, essentially uses the same "multiple exposure" concept as holograms, only for sound (don't ask). Apparently it sends signals to your brain and triggers certain emotions and responses based on what is heard. Holophonic sound seems so real in fact that many people have claimed to smell sulphur after hearing a recording of someone lighting a match (although I think they may have just been having a stroke ). What's even crazier is that it's been reported that even some completely deaf people can "hear" holophonic sound. Although their audio receptors cannot pick up anything it still manages to stimulate their brain somehow.

All I can tell you is this shit freaked me the fuck out. Not so much in a bad way, but more in a "holy shit what the fuck is going on" way. Much like an LSD trip. On that note I would highly recommend against listening to this while on any type of hallucinogen or other substance that may cause psychosis. I cannot be held responsible for any resulting incidents if you do choose to do so.

One final recommendation. You MUST listen to this with headphones. Any ol' shitty stereo headphones will do. I don't care what kind of sweet new sound system or sound card you just got, it WILL NOT WORK unless you use headphones. And after you hear it, you'll wonder why you wasted so much money on 5.1 in the first place. :wink: Be sure to set the volume to a high enough level so the sounds seem like they are right next to you. It doesn't have to be insanely loud, but it should definitely be loud enough so you can't hear any background noise. Also, to get the full effect out of it I would highly recommend listening in complete darkness. This means at night with all the lights off (including your monitor). Other than that all I can tell you is listen and try not to crap your pants.

Enjoy!

Inactive
    Crazy Person

very cool. reminds me of the brainwave shit from cooledit 2.0!

quick shaking that matchbox behind me and to the right of me
    fucker
    yeah, thats right , leave

hmm sounded like he was shaking it infront of my forehead and above my head and under my ass too

whoa bitchin'!!! that was badass fo sho!

I read into it on one of those audiophile forums. People arguing that stereo with holophonics is the way to go instead of having multiple speakers.

Kinda makes sense since multiple speakers can really clutter up your entertainment space. Not to mention it's a pretty primative method of forcing sound direction.

That's also the goal of hardware developers, to use less and less hardware to achieve the same effect.

As for now I'm enjoying watching movies and playing games in 5.1, it's good enough for me.

Inactive
    Padded Cell Candidate

That is some sweet technology. Id love to hear some more samples of that shit.

Hell yeah....you got any more of those Lobo?